- You may be able to receive your loan early, and students going on study abroad to certain countries will be paid in 1 or 2 instalments instead of 3. See Applying For Your Student Loan for details.
Leeds Financial Support and University Scholarships
Students on a study abroad or work placement year will not receive Leeds Financial Support during the year they are away.
If you receive an Educational Engagement scholarships, you’ll need to email The Plus Programme team to ask if you can continue to receive this when on a placement year.
You should not depend on the grant to cover all living costs when budgeting. More information can be found on the British Council website.
‘Special Case’ Work Placement Definitions
If you’re on an unpaid placement you may be eligible for means-tested funding if the placement is one of the following:
- a) unpaid service in a hospital or in a public health service laboratory or with a clinical commissioning group in the UK;
- b) unpaid service with a local authority in the UK acting in the exercise of its functions relating to the care of children and young persons, health or welfare or with a voluntary organisation providing facilities or carrying out activities of a like nature in the UK; ba) unpaid service with a local authority (within the meaning of section 2B of the NHS Act 2006) acting in the exercise of public health functions (within the meaning of that Act)*;
- c) unpaid service in the prison or probation or aftercare service in the UK;
- d) unpaid research in an institution in the UK or, in the case of a student attending an overseas institution as part of the student’s course, in an overseas institution**;
- e) unpaid service with i) a Special Health Authority established pursuant to section 28 of the NHS Act 2006; (ia) the NHS Commissioning Board; (ib) the NIHCE; (ic)the Health and Social Care Information Centre; (ii) a Local Health Board established pursuant to section 11 of the NHS (Wales) Act 2006(b) or a Special Health Authority established pursuant to section 22 of payday loans Locust Grove near me that Act; (iii) a Health Board or a Special Health Board constituted under section 2 of the NHS (Scotland) Act 1978(c); or (iv) a Health and Social Services Board established under Article 16 of the Health and Personal Social Services (Northern Ireland) Order 1972(d); or
- f) unpaid service with either House of Parliament.
* The placement can be with a council or a voluntary organisation in the UK. If with a voluntary organisation, the work must be of a ‘like nature’ to the work that a council would undertake in exercise of its functions. The student must be working directly with ‘service users’ (i.e. in the provision of care/welfare, not in an administrative, funding raising, etc. role).
** ‘Institution’ in the Student Support Regulations is defined as an educational institution offering designated higher education courses of at least one year in length, or overseas equivalents.
If your employer is paying you expenses (e.g. for travel) or if you’re receiving a bursary (e.g. from the NHS) or other subsidy that is not liable for tax, your placement will be classed as unpaid by SFE.
If you’re being paid a salary or any income is tax liable, your placement will be classed as paid by SFE regardless of the amount you receive.
If you’re on a work placement which is classed as a ‘special case’ you’ll need to indicate the category of placement (a, b, c, d, e, or f) on your student loan application form. Once you have applied for your loan, you should email Funding with: